Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
parocks

Re: Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Post by parocks » Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 pm

jdpig wrote:
Spanky74 wrote:I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted, here's hoping listenership continues to plummet to record breaking lows that relegate mainstream radio to complete irrelevancy.
Bitter much? Radio will be fine when it finds it's way back to it's purpose. Communicating locally about LOCAL events with your LOCAL audience in a way that makes you stand out will always be of value to the listener. Radio stations that are nothing more than a juke box with someone reading liner cards is a thing of the past and thank the radio gods for it. If you can relate to the LOCAL audience and show an emotional attachment to the music you are playing... You will win, and radio will endure.

Don't you mean playing LOCAL music? That's the problem. Well, not that there isn't enough LOCAL music, but that most of what's on the radio tends to suck. It is easier than ever before to get music without the radio, and so people do. I root for formerly LOCAL bands that I know. I root for them to reach the top of these charts here. Everyone else on these charts has a strike against them for even being on these charts. The music that I listen to rarely appears on these charts. But if something I do listen to does appear on these charts, I typically root for them as well. The first exposure to an act should not be through the radio. Because people these days pretty much know that the music on the radio is not good.

I've had industry professional remind me that sucky music is part of the effective radio formula. Stupid listeners don't want interesting music. Interesting music increases the risk of someone changing the channel, and that's the worst possible thing that can happen. Dull sucky major label crap though can be mixed with more dull sucky LOCAL crap, though, I would think. Every radio market has at least 10 mediocre active rock bands that can arguably compete with the slightly more competent major label active rock bands.

jimwalsh

Post by jimwalsh » Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I think it's more accurate to say the biz was never that good...

vadlamudimohan

Post by vadlamudimohan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted
thanks for the post
web development company

ruchertora

Post by ruchertora » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 am

Funny component approximately options consisting of Pandora, and that is they program to what you MIGHT like. Off the pinnacle of my head I can consider dozens of Top 40 hits over the years which can be unavailable on Pandora. So an awful lot for sharing titles along with your buddies and "their" tips are by no means close to what I requested for.

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:44 am

I think it's more accurate to say the biz was never that good...

If that is what you believe than you don't study the History of Radio now do you?. That is an incredibly DOLT Statement. You are clueless.

jdrich

Post by jdrich » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:21 am

I think a common problem radio stations have (at least in my market) is that programmers are terrified of branching out to newer stuff in their format. I can set my clock by when Guns-n-Roses, Def Leppard, Tom Petty, Queen, and Nirvana come on. Yes, they are legends, but they all have more than one or two songs. Terrestrial radio doesn’t seem to understand that. Dig deeper. That’s why a lot of people stream other stuff. We all know “Sweet Child O’Mine”. We know how “Pour Some Sugar On Me” goes. They’ve been run into the ground. Like the Goo Goo Dolls said, “A tired song keeps playing on the tired radio”. And as far as a lot of the jocks go around here, (in a top 20 market), it’s like they suddenly remembered they have to say something on the radio, crack the mic, and pointlessly ramble about nothing but themselves. Show prep, anyone? Anyone? I guess not. If you need me, I’ll be listening to my iTunes, which has way more song in it than any (Rock) station around here.

jimbo700

Post by jimbo700 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 am

Live and local? I have heard that phrase a zillion times in the last 30 years but I beg to differ. Radio's "Golden Age" was not about live and local. The largest audiences were composed of people listening to night time dramas and comedies supplied by NBC, Mutual, CBS and a few other sources. During the 60's and 70's when Top 40 radio was at it's peak, I don't remember hearing programmers or consultants hammering talent to keep the content local. At that time it was about the music. These days, I don't think I've ever heard anyone tell me they don't listen to radio because the DJ is in Peoria rather than Indianapolis. Many of the most successful personalities of the past 20-30 years are those which were syndicated (Rush, Howard, Bob & Tom), not local. As mentioned by many, people have so many more entertainment options these days. The one thing that is missing isn't 'live' or 'local' talent, it's compelling content. You gotta give them something they can't get anywhere else. I don't know what that might be, but I don't hear it when I turn my radio on.

champoux

Post by champoux » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Radio is not the "tribal drum" anymore, true, but if it is such a weak medium it would have died 10 or 15 years ago. Yes to deeper cuts - but also 'play the hits'. Yes to rising bands - but showcase them. Yes to show prep, but relate it to the listener and make it personal. Local is key, and there is no way possible to make that happen with someone not living there. Oh, and VT's are fine - but be sure someone's there to answer the phone (hearing screams of laughter from programmers young and old here).
dm.quackerbacker@gmail.com