Ad talent compensation, need advice

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
arnaymu

Ad talent compensation, need advice

Post by arnaymu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:54 pm

So if I cut a commercial for a client of the station I work for to be aired on our station, and the client takes that commercial to another station, shouldn't I be compensated for that? Do I have any rights over the use of my voice after the c\ad has been cut?

Appreciate the input

-Maybe Getting Screwed

racer

Re: Ad talent compensation, need advice

Post by racer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am

Absolutely. How much? Depends on your market size. Don't give away your talent!

omalley

Post by omalley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Agreed... but you have to read the fine print on this one. Did you sign anything before doing this?? If so you need to read the fine print. If not then I agree that it depends on your market size.. If you're in a small or medium market you may want to be careful because you don't want that company not to come back to you again. At the same time though you can use your voice to your advantage and say that you're heard all over your market.

Its a thin line but you can see what I'm getting at.

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:41 am

Nope. You did this as a part of your job. It was what they bought when they bought the slots. Unless you had a separate written agreement to the contrary, or the station has an exclusive clause in your sales contract, your recording is a 'work for hire' without future royalties.

racer

Post by racer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:51 am

Yes, of course, the talent (you) should be paid! In a small market, $50-$100 per spot is appropriate. Management should see this as an advantage, a real plus to have you on their team. When a talent is happy and fairly compensated for good work (and proud they were good enough to be used by a client on another station) that talent will work harder for the station and feel appreciated by management. Consider a talent payment a little "thank you" for your good work.

bluecorona

Post by bluecorona » Thu May 30, 2019 1:23 am